Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Contradictions

The Dutch are well-known for their tolerance and socially liberal policies. Where else is drug use and prostitution legal, right? 

Which makes it all the more confusing to me to see the rigor with which they uphold their traffic laws. They will obey the pedestrian lights as if violating them carried a sentence of life imprisonment. It's common to see Dutch people waiting patiently for 3 or 4 minutes, no traffic in sight, for their little green man to appear and assure them it's OK to cross the street. Tired of standing there, several times I made a common sense decision to just cross the street when safe and they looked at me like I had punted a crying baby into the bushes.

But smoking crack while renting a hooker? No problem.

1 comment:

Kitten Herder said...

Cool.

When I was in high school, I was in downtown Baltimore waiting for a bus. There were a bunch of pigeons. One of them broke away from the rest of them and walked to the corner. After the light changed, the pigeon crossed the street in the crosswalk. It was the oddest thing I have ever seen.