Monday, October 13, 2008

Adaptable monkey

Many of you have most kindly and gently asked how the little monkey is doing at l'ecole maternelle.  At last blog on this issue we were struggling and mom was ready to pull the plug, bite the bullet, cash in the mutual funds and suck up the cost (9,000 U.S. greenbacks at least) for an "American" or private school for preschoolers.  Well, like we have been told over and over again give it a chance and some time and the kids do fine.

Speed forward to present day, almost two months since the day Allie started and she is doing just fine.  No more crying before school.  No more pleading to stay home.  No more weekend discussion on why she has to go back.  We skipped to school this morning. No, really, my four year old and her 30 something mom skipped to school and played "I Spy" on the way, and it is Monday.  I didn't have to carry her, I didn't have to tout the benefits of learning and meeting the French.  She accepts the schedule and the French!  Not to say there aren't moments of "I don't want to go to school" but I am sure that would happen anywhere.

She likes to go now.  She even goes to an extra tutoring session provided by the school for non French speaking kids.  Per her report, because parents are absolutely not involved, they get to do obstacle courses, dance, listen to music, paint, use scissors, today she said they actually used a candle with the teacher's help to decorate a picture!  She likes it. 
Now things seem good however not to say things aren't a little off.  She did say to me, "Momma, sometimes I talk to myself at school" and who is to blame her!  Also, it turns out the French kids play a lot rougher so she comes home with some bruises from "wrestling with the kids, momma."  All in all, my tears and fears of scarring my child have subsided.  We are settling in and she is getting used to the routine.  
Fortunately, but kinda unfortunately we are starting our travel blitz.  In the coming weeks the little monkey will miss many days of school to take advantage of Papa's traveling work schedule.  We are going with him on three trips because it is a chance of of lifetime.
The question is will she assimilate back in to school upon returning or will I have to begin the process all over again at l'ecole maternalle?

No comments: