Friday, February 13, 2009

Things that are hard to find, revisited

Back in November, we did a blog on things that are hard to find in Paris. With a few more months under our belt, we figured it was time to update it.

red onions:  Well, it turns out with a little searching at a covered market close to work rather than home, we can buy a mesh bag of red onions for relatively cheap anytime we want. Not so hard after all. Cross it off the list.

inexpensive childrens shoes:  Still a problem. However, the exchange rate is improving nicely. I don't understand why. America is leading the way into the economic crapper and our currency strengthens relative to those of other nations.  Eh,  go figure. Either that's a signal of tougher times ahead for everyone else, or American exports are going to become difficult to sell.

spicy peppers (any kind):  go to Chinatown, I'm told. Jalapenos, habaneros, the whole family. Mmmmm.....a Metro ticket away.

churchgoers:  Nah, still none of those. But as we get closer to Easter, I'm sure I'll see more.

I do have a few things to add. You may notice a theme:

English beer:  I like English beer. I think the English and the Belgians have a lot to teach the rest of the world. But apparently not the French. A Brit in my office told me where I have to go to find a Boddington's, John Bull, or Sam Smith's, and it's all the way on the other side of town. C'mon! The friggin Brits are right across the Channel!! How hard can this be?

non-French wine:  Hey, we have American wine. Prepare yourself for a nice glass of Gallo! Are you kidding me? Also, consider this:  Fact #1: The largest producer of wine in the WORLD is Italy. Fact #2: Italy and France share a border. Fact #3: It's easier to find a straight male hairdresser than it is to find an Italian wine in our area.  I need to learn the French word for protectionism so I can rail against it. Maybe I should go on strike. It seems to be the thing to do here.

Oh well. In the grand scheme of things, these are small potatoes. We live in Paris. How bad can it be?



2 comments:

Kitten Herder said...

Wow, that is bloody protectionism. Italian wines are fabulous, as are Portuguese (verde in addition to port).

Look up the definition and of chauvinism sometime. There's a reason the word is of French origin.

How are the French in regards to foreign cheeses? Spain, Britain, Italy, and Switzerland have some very entertaining cheeses. Fromage, for you Parisienne types.

French food is grand. However, it is not always the ultimate, and it's not the only experience you want while living in Europe.

AND, what's this fascination with British and Belgian brews? What do you have against the Germans? What about the Czecks?

Yes, your life is SO rough. :D

Monkeys in Paris said...

I can only conclude by examining les produits of les fromageries that there is no cheese outside of France. I am sorry to burst your bubble, but from what I see, Spain, Britain, Italy and Switzerland have no cheese. None. Ce n'est pas possible. (pause for long drag on the skinny cigarette). Perhaps you have mistaken manchengo for a fine Alsacian frommage. It happens all the time, mon amie. I can forgive you.

Same with German and Czech beer. They don't actually exist. Sorry. (another pause for a long drag on a skinny cigarette).