Sunday, September 21, 2008

Troy's short visit to the U.S.

I managed to slip back into the country this week, spending 3 nights in Arlington, VA.  I was back doing some work for the Godfather, for whom I worked the last 3 years, and I still work for now, in the sense that he writes my performance appraisal.  It started off shaky, as I greeted the girl at the Asian food place in Logan airport (for my layover) with a friendly "bonjour". Oh, wait.  Not in France anymore.

Dana and Allie couldn't go, since Dana's folks are here now and Allie still has to get settled at school.  I managed to have fun anyway, having a great dinner with our friends Luigi and Kim and catching a visit from friends Jake and Jackye as well. Plus it was nice to see my old co-workers.

Although I've only been away from the states for 4 months, there were still some things that stood out.  Those who have spent significant time in Europe probably won't find any surprises in these observations, but they were noteworthy to me.

1) I took for granted the space in the U.S.  The streets are a little wider. The buildings stand a little farther apart. It's as though objects decided not to be hurried and crowded, and all took a step or two back from you.

2) Burritos at Chipotle are good. Really good.

3) We live in a bubble of Babel as we walk the streets of Paris, since our French is not yet good enough to catch most of what the passersby are saying to each other. This week I learned that sometimes it's good when we can't understand the conversations of others.  Often they are irritating and inane.  

4) What a fabulous array of beers the U.S. has once you push past the Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.  Our variety and quality of beer is an overlooked national treasure.

5) Cheeeeaaap. Very cheap. Shoes, clothes, food. I spent like a drunken sailor, picking up 3 pairs of pants, new shoes, 2 new shirts, ties and various other items.

6)  Chipotle burritos are good. Did I mention that already? No, mean it.  Deeelicious.

Overall it was a good visit back home. But without the rest of the family, I had no desire to stay.  
Tomorrow, off to Bucharest, Romania.

1 comment:

Kitten Herder said...

OK. We get it. Burritos are good. Beer is good. (grin)

Are you making any beer at home in Paris? Gone to Germany or Belgium yet? I hear their beers are acceptable.