Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I live here now!

It is funny how lost you can feel and then have an encounter that makes you feel that you are doing just fine.  I welcomed our new neighbors and Troy's new co worker today.  Saw the same scared and lost look in the wife's eyes that I saw in the mirror when I first arrived here.  She has just the same amount of questions I had and still do.  She was worn out and nervous about her young kids and how they were going to take the move as I did.  I answered some questions for her.  Some I still can't answer being still fresh in the country but now have many more resources to help in the process.  As I left her empty new apartment she thanked me profusely, as I did my sponsor, Cheryl.  
Bottom line is, we all still need friends and a bit of attentiveness. Some one who cares how we are feeling even though we as military move a lot.  Be it Boston, California, Virgina, or France, just a friend, maybe not for life but someone with a commonality, someone who can help us get our feet wet in a new place without stumbling to much.  Someone who knows what we are going through and will face.  I had other plans today with Allie but explained to her that this is important to welcome and help a new friend as someone did for us.
As we left, I thought I might actually LIVE IN PARIS now.  I knew way more than I thought and I even new a little more French than I thought as well. All in all a rewarding day.

Tomorrow......the monkey family goes shopping in Belgium!!!!

1 comment:

Blogger Challenged said...

Hi Monkey Family, Your blog was forwarded to me by Elmore3. I am not a blogger (mostly because I am not technically/computer/internet savy - and I'm a bad speller). Elmore3 thought I might be interested in your blog because of our overseas experience. Your blogs made me laugh, ponder, and miss our adventures. I laughed out loud when I read your "Go-girl blog." My proudest Thai speaking moments were predictibly humbled by a very caring friend. My misprounced vowels or tones naively, converted benign words into a swear words - usually at the most inappropriate time. I got plenty of "those" looks", but it wasn't because I was telling anyone to hurry. Commenting on your latest blog, I agree. I found the best way to distract myself from the daily aches and pains of cultural shock was to help someone else get through it. You committed a wonderful act of kindness for your neighbor as well as yourself. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for courageously serving our Country and congrats on the promotion!!!! Sincerly, your newest fan, "Blogger Challenged"