Thursday, August 28, 2008

So, I did the French thing.  I went to the pharmacist on the corner of the Place.  I handed my form from Allie's doctor and I was asked my name, number, and address.  Luckily, I brought my neighbor who speaks French and was able to function, and we left with what I needed.  Anyone who has ever tried to look, pronounce and generate numbers in French knows my pain.  

(ACTIVITY) Everyone, quickly look up how to say 91 in French and you will see what I'm talking about when I have to give my address.  It's kind of like saying "four twenties and an eleven."  It just does not make sense!  Don't even get me started on phone numbers.  Anyway, I digress.

I was filling the little monkey's prescription for her four year old shots.  You take it to the local pharmacy, buy it... they put it in a great stay cool bag... you bring it home, put it in your fridge and when it is time for your appointment you take it out, put in in the bag and take it to the doc who then injects it into your child's arm or leg.  The visit is five minutes, no chatting about the health or well being of the child.  The visit is strictly 5 minutes for shots and if you drag it on you pay for a full visit.  No appointments necessary, no hoopla, just the shots.  Sounds sterile and stand-offish but it works.  Seems strange that I bring dead viruses with me in my well-traveled backpack but hey it seems to work.

Addendum:  Allie received shots, got fever and threw up in span of 2 days.  This has never happened before.  Could be 1) Because the Monkeys have a planned trip to Bordeaux with good friends.  2) She's picking up on nervous vibes of mom regarding school and shock that awaits her.  

Addendum number two:  As of night before fun wine country trip, Allie tucked in bed, no fever and looking forward to the swimming pool that awaits her at the chateau.  Wish us luck once again as well as luck with round number 2 of four year old shots.


1 comment:

Kitten Herder said...

Wow. Hope Allie is feeling better and that the trip was a success.